UNC Chapel Hill understands that students who suffer from substance abuse disorders need support. Learn more about campus options.
Carolina Recovery Program
What is Recovery?
"A process of change through which individuals improve their health and wellness, live a self-directed life, and strive to reach their full potential." (SAMHSA, 2012).
The Carolina Recovery Program strives to create an inclusive and accepting environment where any UNC-CH student seeking recovery can build community, flourish personally, thrive academically, and foster enduring resiliency. Carolina Recovery provides each student with a customized success plan and proactive recovery-focused programming facilitated by staff, local professionals, and peer-based support. This affords our community of students the opportunity to enjoy a substance-free or reduced-substance-use collegiate experience while excelling at UNC-CH. We believe the collegiate recovery experience connects or reconnects students with their core values and purpose.
What We Do
Carolina Recovery is a robust support system for UNC-CH students, embracing those in recovery, seeking support, or simply curious. Our Carolina Recovery Program, facilitated by expert staff, and the Carolina Recovery Community, a dynamic student organization, host various weekly meetings to cater to diverse needs. We foster a sense of belonging through substance-free recreational events—like tailgates, Spring Break, and laser tag—and engage in impactful community-building activities—like service projects, tabling events, and stigma-reduction campaigns. Our dedicated staff provides personalized support to help well-being and academic success. We welcome everyone, regardless of their stage or modality of recovery, in a confidential, inclusive space.
How to Get Involved:
There are no requirements to participate in Carolina Recovery. For more information, including meeting location, please contact email@example.com.
The Benefits of Participating in Carolina Recovery:
- Recovery and Mental Health Support: A safe and supportive environment for recovery
- Academic Assistance: Academic support services and time management skill-building
- Personal Growth: Mutual-support peer groups, recovery coaching, and substance use counseling for personal development
- Networking: Opportunities to connect with peers, faculty, and staff
- Substance-Free Social Activities: Engaging, substance-free events
- Awareness & Advocacy: Raising awareness for recovery and reducing stigma
- Reduced Risk for Harm: The lower likelihood of return-to-use and associated harms
- Sense of Belonging: A judgment-free community that reduces isolation
- Recovery Resiliency: Gain a foundation of recovery capital
- Community Engagement: Encouragement to give back through service
Recovery Housing Options
Carolina Recovery provides resources for accessing recovery-supportive housing.
Historically, Carolina Recovery collaborated with Oxford Houses of NC to offer the first Collegiate Oxford house in the state. While the collegiate-specific option is currently unavailable, we work closely with Oxford House to connect students with affordable, substance-free recovery housing.
Make a Gift to Carolina Recovery
Contributions made to the Carolina Recovery Community Fund provide an invaluable resource to support the recovery of all students involved in the program. If you would like to make a gift to the Carolina Recovery Community, you may do so online, by check, or by phone.
Make a Gift Online
Make a Gift via Check
Make A Gift by Phone
Please call (919) 962-2548, and reference the "Carolina Recovery Community Fund - 605067"