Student Wellness manages a general wellness fund and a student recovery fund. All gifts are tax-deductible. Please consider supporting health and wellness efforts towards UNC-Chapel Hill students.
Student Wellness is a health education and health promotion office whose work is rooted in public health science, with a focus on environmental change strategies. As the field of health promotion evolves, it has also grown to include interdisciplinary research from fields such as social work, psychology, educational leadership, and student development theory. The field of health promotion and wellness is primarily driven by two leading foundational documents: The international Okanagan Charter and the American College Health Association's (ACHA) Standards of Practice. Student Wellness at UNC-CH utilizes these evidence-based approaches and guidelines in developing and implementing our various programs, resources, and related strategies for creating a more 'health normative' culture of wellbeing at Carolina.
We envision a thriving campus culture that is safe, equitable, and well.
We educate, advocate, support, and promote individual and community health and well-being.
Who We Serve
Our focus on the well-being of the student population naturally involves their interactions with UNC faculty, staff, alumni, parents and the surrounding community, hence we actually serve the greater UNC-CH community as we strive to raise awareness and support an environment where students can naturally select the healthier, more balanced or harmonious option when faced with daily choices.
What We Do
- In collaboration with a variety of campus partners, creating and implementing evidence-based, inclusive, high impact programs and services
- Cultivating student leaders through peer education efforts
- Assessing the health & wellness needs of all undergraduate, graduate, professional students, and post-doctoral fellows
- Advocating for inclusive campus policies, services, infrastructure and systems, that support well-being
- Offering one-on-one and group services that support persistence and resiliency development
- Engaging partners and students in conversations around identity development, belonging, and its connections to well-being
- Using public health models and environmental management strategies to prevent violence, illness, and injury on campus
- Providing strategic accurate messaging and information around health and wellness topics
- Creating dialogue in the community to encourage reflection on holistic well-being & the dimensions of wellness
Student Wellness is staffed by highly trained, certified, knowledgeable and experienced health education professionals and accomplished student associates who enjoy what we do and the satisfaction we receive through helping you succeed in everything you do here at Carolina, and beyond.