What is Wellness Coaching?
At Student Wellness, our focus is helping students excel academically and socially as they face many opportunities and challenges.
If you have a goal you are working towards or any lifestyle change that you are interested in developing (managing stress, being more active, eating healthier, finding more overall balance in life- just to name a few), coaching can be a catalyst for implementing that change you seek! You are the expert in your own life and know where you want to go, but maybe you are feeling ‘stuck’ or aren’t sure how to get there… that is where a coach can help!
Wellness coaching is a collaborative partnership between a student and coach to help you assess what is currently working for you, what may not be working as well and to clearly identify your life’s vision so you can begin taking purposeful action steps towards it! Coaches are trained in Integrative Health Coaching - a holistic, evidence-based approach centered around creating action plans and providing ongoing support to get you the results you want. We utilize strategies like motivational interviewing and take a holistic approach to health using our eight (8) dimensions of wellness framework.
- Meet 1 on 1 with a professional coach as often as you request (usually weekly or bi-weekly)
- Sessions last 45-60 minutes and are private and virtual
- Coaching partnerships are long-term and can last anywhere from 3 to 6 months (or beyond)
- Conversations are student-centered and judgment-free, prioritizing your current goals and lifestyle
- Areas of focus can include, but aren't limited to: stress management, self-care practices, sleep hygiene or refining your life vision and values.
- After a session, you will feel empowered, accountable and motivated!
How do I get started?
Wellness coaching is a service offered by Student Wellness at no-cost to students! Fill out the Wellness Coaching Interest Form and you will be connected with a coach of best fit within the next week.
Our Wellness Coaches
- Jen Grubbs has a Master of Forensic Science, as well as being a National Board-Certified Health and Wellness Coach with training at Duke Integrative Medicine. She lives on the northeast coast of Florida and is a dedicated dragon boating athlete! When not out on the water, she is passionate about helping people realize what their vision of “better health” can look like by making small changes each day. It will be her honor to help guide you on this adventure!
- Lisa Barnes is a licensed physical therapist assistant and a board-certified health and wellness coach, passionate about helping her clients to achieve their dream goals. Her approach consists of breaking things down into manageable and action-based steps, working through obstacles together, and providing support throughout the process to unlock one's full potential. She is committed to helping you embrace your best self!
- Mary Perkins-England spent 15 years protecting vulnerable children, and then took a career turn to begin fostering new levels of growth and fulfillment for individuals. She loves to make a difference for people by helping them bring about better health and well-being while developing deeper satisfaction and joy. Coaching is her Passion!
- Diego Salinas is an avid musician and hiker and has been coaching since 2018. He loves being able to combine his background in neuroscience, education, and medicine to help people navigate all the factors that increase their health and wellness, increase self confidence and transform their lives through behavior change. Diego is fluent in both English and Spanish and specializes in helping students and professionals increase resiliency, avoid and manage stress or burnout, and develop themselves personally and professionally.
- Demond Timberlake is a former Tar Heel (class of 2018) and has a strong appreciation for the interconnectedness of all dimensions of wellness. He believes wellness is a journey, and his passion is to be a guide for others, through all stages of their journey. Go Heels!!
- Sierra Pyle is a Registered Dietitian and health coach from Houston, Texas who believes wellness encompasses a variety of meaningful factors which come together to make up each person as a whole. She believes that wellness is more than how a person appears on the outside and strives to empower others to design their most fulfilling lives. She values a customized, integrative counseling style and is passionate about guiding individuals in creating balanced relationships with food, movement, and themselves.
- Sheri Davidson is a full-time Acupuncturist and integrative health coach who is passionate about understanding and helping others to be the best they can be. She finds great fulfillment in encouraging and supporting others to invest in their health continuously— as health is their greatest asset.
***For more information about Wellness Coaching, please check out the FAQs document below!
All coaching sessions are private. No report will be made to other campus departments or officials or your parents or family without your formal written consent. With this said, there are a few exceptions due to staff being Responsible Employees. If one talks about hurting themselves and/or someone else, by law we must share that with Counseling and Psychological Services. Additionally, because we care about your safety, if you share specific details regarding an incident of harassment, discrimination, assault, stalking, sexual violence, and/or interpersonal violence, that happened by or to Carolina students, as employees of Student Wellness, we are required to share that information with UNC’s Student Complaint Coordinator.