The Carolina Recovery Program strives to create an inclusive, accepting, and nurturing environment where students in recovery can build community, thrive personally, shine academically, and develop enduring resiliency for continued success.
To encourage a community that supports continued recovery, academic excellence, and a commitment to serving the greater UNC community, the Carolina Recovery Program provides each student a customized success plan, staff and peer support, and proactive recovery focused programing. Our goal is to enable our students to enjoy a normal substance-free collegiate experience while excelling at UNC-CH. We believe this recovery program experience will reconnect emerging leaders with their passion to make a difference in the world.
We accomplish this by:
- Offering weekly peer-led groups and staff-led programs to foster a supportive recovery-based fellowship.
- Providing recovery, academic resources, and other support services to students
- Fostering a sense of fellowship between students
- Connecting students to the campus and local community through service projects and research opportunities
- Providing programing that is designed to develop resiliency and help protect our students recovery
- Serving as the model program for the state of North Carolina and a model for the creation of recovery communities throughout the UNC system
- Weekly Carolina Recovery Group meetings – This is a registered student organization that is the student arm of The Carolina Recovery Program, see link under related links!
- "No Rivals in Recovery" sober tailgates
- Study and final exam prep workshops hosted by the Learning Center
- Recovery focused career services workshops hosted by Career Services
- Etiquette tips and dinners
- Ropes challenge course, hiking, rock climbing, and other various fun outdoor activities
- Trips to NCCYPAA, the North Carolina Conference of Young People in Alcoholics Anonymous, Rally for Recovery in Raleigh NC
- Final Exam study halls with stress reduction activities
The Carolina Recovery Program Offers Many Opportunities To Support Your Recovery
The Carolina Recovery Program at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill provides a safe and nurturing environment where students in recovery can thrive personally and academically through a substance-free collegiate experience.
We welcome all students: full-time and part-time, undergrad and graduate, who are committed to a path of recovery, academic excellence, and being of service to their peers.
We offer access to a full-time addiction specialist and support services, on- and off-campus housing, as well as fun and educational programming designed to foster resiliency and a sense of community.
Weekly Recovery Support Process Groups
Alumni Mentor Program
Frequent, local Alcoholics Anonymous, SMART Recovery and Narcotics Anonymous meetings Licensed Clinical Addiction Specialist on staff
Study and final exam prep workshops hosted by The Learning Center
Recovery-focused career workshops hosted by University Career Services
Final exam study halls with stress reduction activities
Regular dinners and events such as sober tailgating parties and movie nights
Outdoor activities such as ropes courses, hiking and rock climbing
Community service projects and outreach opportunities and activities
Trips to the NC Conference of Young People in Alcoholics Anonymous, Rally for Recovery in Raleigh, Unite to Face Addiction in Washington, D.C. and the Association for Recovery in Higher Education Conference
We acknowledge, respect and support all paths to recovery, while utilizing a 12 step, abstinent based model as our primary community culture.