Student Wellness empowers students to make healthy decisions about their substance use behaviors that affect them and the Carolina community as a whole. We focus on reducing the high risk behaviors and promoting safe, legal, and responsible actions.
Student Wellness utilizes a comprehensive approach to health and well-being. Our strategies range from working with students on an individual level to managing the campus and community environments. Student Wellness has adopted a non-judgmental harm reduction approach to preventing alcohol, tobacco, and other drug abuse, which aims to reduce the negative consequences of high-risk alcohol and other drug use on the Carolina Community.
Our services include:
- BASICS: a non-confrontational program to help students identify risks associated with their alcohol and/or drug use and ways to eliminate or reduce these risks.
- AlcoholEdu online alcohol education course
- The Carolina Recovery Program: A community-based program that supports students in entering and maintaining substance use recovery while on campus.
- Educational programs and workshops for student groups and organizations. Check out our programming guide for alcohol/drug programming ideas.
- Social marketing
- Policy development. Check out UNC Campus Alcohol policy and Housing's Community Living Standards. Read about state and local laws on our Healthy Heels blog.
- A community-wide social norms campaign aimed to create a healthier campus norm around alcohol by providing candid, data-driven information.
- Assessment and research, including the Core Survey.